Your ticket to friends, adventure & entertainment
Assisting parents and families with the unique challenge of raising an individual with a developmental disability is one of the goals of Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara. The community-based recreation program is one-way to make a positive impact on families.
While giving family members a well deserved “break” or respite, recreational activities enable an individual to make new friends and enrich their lives through participation in a variety of social and physically oriented community-based activities. Both youth (10-18 years old) and adult (19 years old +) activities are available. Trained and caring staff provides appropriate supervision to all participants in a group setting; one-to-one supervision is not possible.
Transportation is provided from three central agency locations: 1555 Fashion Outlet Blvd (OU I), Town of Niagara; 2510 Niagara Falls Blvd. (Day Services), Wheatfield, and 107 Heath Street (OU II), Lockport. To ensure the safety of all Recreation participants we will continue to bring the individuals home after an outing. Limited wheelchair transportation available; please call (716) 434-4050 for details. The program is also available to individuals living alone in the community who meet the eligibility requirements. Schedules are mailed every other month and individuals select the activities in which they wish to participate. Activities with fees are noted. An effort is made to provide opportunities with a wide range of costs during the year. Family members should only send a check into the office if the activity is marked prepay (tickets need to be purchased in advance).
A variety of social activities are offered ranging from sporting events to musicals, movies, concerts plus many others. There are also selected physical activities such as roller skating, dances and community walks to promote exercise as an important component of an individual’s life – at any age. Camp Happiness, a June week-long day camp on Lake Ontario is also available as an activity.
- Regional travel
- Small excursions
- Sporting events
- Concerts, plays & movies
- Seasonal activities
- Roller skating & community walks
- Bingo, bowling, dinner & dances
- Camp Happiness — is a traditional one-week day camp experience for people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities from Niagara County. Select campers are invited to stay overnight once during the week. It is offered through a collaborative effort of the Niagara County Elks Lodges, and Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara.
Eligibility for individuals who:
- Reside in Niagara County
- Live with a family member
- Function in a group setting with professional supervision
- Have a qualifying developmental disability*
- Be Medicaid eligible for and obtain appropriate Medicaid coverage for the requested service
- Eligible for, and obtain, the Home and Community Based Services Waiver**
* A Determination of Developmental Disability is made by the Western New York DDRO.
**Please call the Admissions/Central Intake department at (716) 504-2617 for assistance in determining eligibility and/or to discuss enrolling your family member into this exciting program. A sample calendar of upcoming events is available by contacting (716) 434-4050.